Monday, October 14, 2013

DIY Baby Burp Cloths

As you all know, three weeks ago we welcomed a new member into the Gastineau family and since then we have been more blessed than we could have ever imagined (you can read my Birth Story here).
I thought I was all prepared until the feedings began to really kick in and he started spitting up more and more!  I was going through the burp cloths I already had very quickly, so I decided to make more for back up!
So, today I would like to share with you a tutorial on how to make your own terry cloth burp cloths...

To begin, you will need the following items:
Material: Flannel & Terry Cloth (color and pattern is of course your choice)
Sewing thread
Sewing machine
Cutting Mat
Rotary Cutter/Blade
Acrylic Ruler
Scissors for trimming
The first step is to measure out your material.  For an ideal width and length I cut 9x17 pieces. I then laid them right side facing one another and pinned around the edges to hold the two pieces together.
I then began the sewing.  For the first seam, you will want to create a 1/2" seam allowance.  Sew all four corners, but remember to leave an opening to turn the material right-side out (see pictures below).

Here is the opening you will want to leave
Next, turn your material right-side out and begin sewing your top stich.  So this seam, you will want to create a 1/4" seam allowance. Be sure to sew your opening shut with this top stich.
And you're done!
These are that easy!!!  I promise, the hardest part is cutting the material!!
Now it's time to get them dirty!
~ Kerri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover